skip to main content

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public liability insurance (PLI) is a type of cover that protects professionals and businesses from potential claims made against them. Claims could be made by contractors, clients or members of the public and might concern anything from accidental injury to damage to their property as a direct consequence of work.

If you're a musician, public liability insurance provides the peace of mind to perform in any public space or venue. When it's combined with other specialist insurances, musicians' public liability insurance enhances opportunities for networking, performing and recording music.

Is Public Liability Insurance necessary for musicians?

Employers, local authorities and performing venues increasingly require written evidence that performing musicians have public liability insurance before they can play.

Obtaining public liability insurance as a musician means that you will be protected against the financial consequences of:

  • Claims against you for the bodily injury of any person who is not your employee
  • Damage to property while performing either solo or as part of a group, band or orchestra
  • Damage to property while teaching in a public or private place, including at home

Do music teachers need Public Liability Insurance?

Likewise, it might be written in a contract that a music teacher needs public liability insurance cover before working in a school or public building. This is frequently paired with a requirement for professional indemnity insurance, especially for employed music teachers.

We provide the right policies and further guidance on Public Liability Insurance for music teachers.

Music teachers make up an integral part of the MU. We're keeping track of the latest music education news to keep at the forefront of issues faced by music teachers across the UK.

Secure your career with our Public Liability Insurance for musicians today

We offer public liability insurance to all MU members with a limit of indemnity of £10 million per individual member.

Public liability insurance is always included in your Musicians' Union membership. When you're signed into your online account, you can access your PLI certificate online at any time. You can get a personalised certificate and download as many extra copies as you need, free and directly from our website.

Download of print your PLI certificate

How to make a claim on a Musicians' Union Public Liability Insurance policy

Our music public liability insurance policies are provided by our legal partner, Hencilla Canworth GI. If you want to make a claim, you should get in touch with Hencilla directly via email or by calling 020 8686 5050.

To increase your chances of making a successful claim on your musicians' public liability insurance policy, you need to meet certain terms and conditions. You must:

  1. Contact the insurer immediately after any event which may result in a claim.
  2. Notify the police if you've suffered any loss, destruction or damage caused by malicious persons or thieves.
  3. Within 30 days, provide your insurer with a written claim containing as much information as possible about the loss, liability, destruction, damage, accident or injury, and the total amount you'd like to claim.
  4. Immediately send to your insurer, unanswered, all communications from third parties in relation to any event which may result in a music public liability insurance claim.
  5. Not admit or repudiate liability, nor offer to settle, compromise or make payment which may result in a claim or pay any claim under this policy without our written agreement.
  6. Allow your insurer to take over and conduct the defence or settlement of any claim in your name. You will also allow us to prosecute any claim for indemnity or compensation against any other person, at the insurer's expense, and you must provide any information or assistance required.

If you fail to fulfil any of these conditions in relation to any claim, you will lose your right to indemnity or payment for that claim.

Musicians' Public Liability Insurance: FAQs

When is Public Liability Insurance for musicians valid?

Your policy is valid anywhere in the world provided that you are a permanent resident in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

Each Musicians' Union public liability insurance policy runs for 12 months from 1 January and is annually renewable by the MU. For definitive information on our public liability insurance cover for musicians, including the terms and exclusions, please refer to the policy wording.

This policy is only operative while at least one of the following situations applies:

  • The individual member of the MU is performing, rehearsing, auditioning or composing, either solo or as part of a group, band or orchestra.
  • Teaching or mentoring in the field of music. This can be either at the musician's own home or while in transit for work purposes, including the setting up and dismantling of equipment.
  • Setting up, operating and dismantling sound or lighting equipment at ground level only.

When do you need Employers' Liability Insurance?

Band leaders engaging other musicians, performers, technicians and other contractors or freelance workers may require employers' liability insurance.

This applies when there is a master/servant relationship and not a collaboration between equal parties. They should also obtain additional public liability insurance. If required, our legal partner Hencilla Canworth GI can provide this cover.

What do I need to know about my musicians' PLI contract?

  • You will not receive any advice or recommendations in connection with these insurances.
  • Our musicians' public liability insurance cover is provided to qualifying members of the MU as a benefit of membership.
  • Each insurance product has been negotiated by Hencilla on behalf of the MU with the insurer selected being the sole provider of each policy.
  • Hencilla Canworth GI Ltd receives a commission from the insurers for arranging this cover. In sourcing and placing your policy, Hencilla acts as the agent of the insurer.

How does Hencilla Canworth GI handle my personal data?

How Hencilla processes the personal data of Musicians' Union members is detailed within the Hencilla Privacy Notice, which is available on request or via Hencilla's website.

Need to contact customer service or make a complaint?

If you have a question about your musicians' public liability insurance or wish to make a complaint, please contact Hencilla directly. You can do this via email or by calling 020 8686 5050.

If you'd like to write a letter, use the following address:

Hencilla Canworth GI Ltd,
Simpson House,
6 Cherry Orchard Road,
Croydon CR9 6AZ.

Join the MU

Insurances for MU members

Get MU membership today

From gig players to part-time teachers and professional instrumentalists, MU members can access specialist insurance for musicians. This includes accident cover, health schemes, travel insurance and car insurance add-ons through the Musicians’ Union.

Explore our member services

  • Get public liability insurance for musicians
  • Access expert legal support
  • Be represented in your profession
  • Access expert career advice, resources, and training events
  • Connect, network, and get to know the community of musicians

Learn about all membership benefits

Get MU membership today