skip to main content

Find out about:

If one of your songs is commercially released and you do not have a publisher, then your name should appear under the title of the song.

Underneath your name should be the words ‘Copyright Control’ or ‘PRS for Music’ if you are a PRS member. This will tell others that you are the copyright owner of the song and have not assigned it to any music publisher.

Signing with a music publisher

Many composers and songwriters choose to sign with a music publisher to benefit from their services and in exchange give up a portion of their royalties by doing so.

There is a number of benefits to a music publishing contract, including:

  • Advances based on future royalties
  • Administration deals, where a writer has set up their own publishing company and uses a larger corporate publisher to administer catalogue and collect royalties
  • Promotional assistance - the chance to get music placed with major recording artists
  • Free demo time and help securing a record deal
  • A good music publisher will also aggressively promote your compositions to film makers, television production companies and advertisers.

What is negotiable in a publishing deal

  • Length of contract
  • How long a publisher holds the copyright to your songs
  • Royalties and advances
  • Accounting statements and your right of audit, so that you can accurately check statements
  • Copyright and your moral rights, which allow you to claim ownership of your work and object to any distortion or modification to it
  • How damages from copyright infringements are split, and reversion and determination clauses if the music publisher fails to exploit a song or goes bankrupt.

Always seek advice from the MU before signing a music publishing contract to ensure that the agreement on offer is fair and comprehensive. For advice on negotiating the best deal for you, please contact you Regional Office.

Self publishing

At a certain point in your career, including at the early stages when you cannot secure representation, you may wish to look after your own catalogue of works and receive all publishing income directly.

To protect your work, we encourage you to view our Copyright for Songwriters and Composers page and to apply for music writer membership of PRS for Music.

You may wish to set up a publishing company, although this is not always necessary and you should seek advice from the MU before doing so. However, it is advisable to go down this route if you are representing other songwriters and composers, as well as looking after your own works.

If you set up a publishing company you will need to join PRS for Music as a publisher member and pay a higher membership fee.

For additional advice and support, MU members should contact their Regional Office.

Contact the Musicians' Union today

The MU has a network of experienced teams available to help musicians in all areas of the industry. If you have any questions about our services, membership or how the MU could help you, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Latest news and features

A mobile phone is left resting on the background of a passport, a wodge of euros and a map

Funding Round Opens for Music Export Growth Scheme

Round 22 of funding for small to medium sized music companies looking to build the profile of their artists overseas will close on 4 December 2023. The Music Export Growth Scheme will also be running an explanatory webinar on 27 November.

Published: 15 November 2023

Read more about Funding Round Opens for Music Export Growth Scheme
Grey painted door with metal letter box

Members to Receive Ballot Papers Imminently

Executive Committee (EC) and Regional Committee (RC) Ballots are currently underway, asking MU members to elect representatives from the membership to represent then at Regional and Executive level. Ballots have been posted out and should be arriving shortly.

Published: 20 October 2023

Read more about Members to Receive Ballot Papers Imminently
Hollywood sign on the hills above LA

What Does The WGA Strike and Deal Reached Mean for Musicians?

MU General Secretary Naomi Pohl on what the new Writers’ Guild of America agreement delivers for writers in the States, and what precedent this agreement might set for terms offered by big streaming companies, including in relation to the threat of AI developments.

Published: 29 September 2023

Read more about What Does The WGA Strike and Deal Reached Mean for Musicians?