skip to main content

Travel Insurance for Musicians

It's vital that travel insurance covers musicians and their musical instruments while working. Our broker offers single-trip cover from as little as £20 with existing conditions covered.

Last updated: 25 September 2023

Why get musical instrument travel insurance?

Insuring musical instruments for travel abroad is critical because you are likely to have invested a lot of money to purchase your equipment.

Musical instruments often undergo shipment with package carriers or travel in air cargo before being inspected by customs. They are then moved about in subsequent vehicles while on tour, so it’s certainly worthwhile for travellers to take out musical instrument insurance that covers any damage this may cause.

Musical instrument travel insurance from the Musicians’ Union

The MU’s preferred insurance broker Hencilla Canworth GI Ltd. – which also provides public liability and personal accident insurance as well as the equipment insurance scheme – now offers a dedicated policy for performing artists working overseas.

Whether you decide to purchase travel insurance that covers musical instruments on a trip-by-trip basis or a yearly contract, Hencilla Canworth can cover individuals, couples, families, single parents and groups. A discount is automatically applied on couples, family, and single parent policies, while anyone named on a couples or family policy – including children – can also travel separately.

Voyager, the name of the specialised scheme Hencilla Canworth uses for the entertainment industry, covers standard leisure, business trips and cruise trips all under one policy. Musicians and singers are automatically insured and this is highlighted in the policy wording.

In addition, if the venue or the hiring organisation requires members to supply an endorsement to confirm they are a musician or a singer, Hencilla Canworth will be able to provide you with one. Simply email Sean Woodman with details of the trip and your occupation.

Get a travel quote

Covid-19 travel insurance for touring musicians

Given Covid-19 is still an issue for us all, the policy covers the following:

  • Cancellation costs if you or anyone insured on your policy becomes ill with Covid-19 within 14 days of the start of the trip (N.B. loss of earnings is not covered by travel insurance).
  • Should you contract Covid-19 while abroad and be admitted to hospital, you will be treated and if necessary repatriated (if safe to do so).
  • Additional travel and accommodation expenses in respect to Covid-19 if you test positive and must self-isolate.
  • Cancellation & Curtailment cover for anything else related to Covid-19 will not be covered (e.g. a flight cancelled due to Covid-19 or a hotel booking cancelled due to Covid-19). Usually in these circumstances, hotels and flight companies might allow rescheduling or offer a voucher or a refund. We recommend musicians check the terms and conditions when booking travel and accommodation.

Please note that personal accident insurance and public/personal liability will not be covered as standard under this policy while you are working. However, as a member of the MU, this cover is provided within your membership (the above exclusion does not apply to musicians or singers).

Get travel insurance through the Musicians’ Union

If you would like to apply for instrument insurance that covers you when you travel, get a quote today.

Alternatively, if you would like to speak to someone directly, please give Sean Woodman from Hencilla Canworth GI Ltd a call 0208 686 5050 or drop them an email

Get a travel quote