skip to main content

Guidance on crossing EU border

Latest highlights

Things to know when working in EU

The MU has put together an interactive flowchart for musicians travelling to the EU to guide you through the new regulations following Brexit and assist in making sure you have the correct documentation prior to setting off.

See the flowchart

The UK government have released a set of guidance for musical artists and accompanying staff.  Please do get in touch with the MU if there is anything within this Government information that is either unclear or you do not understand. We can take that back to Government and seek clarity.

ATA Carnets

Musicians who now require ATA Carnets for travel should take advantage of the MU Member exclusive discounts available through the London Chamber of Commerce (LCC) or Boomerang.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Current EHICs will be valid until their expiry date, but you will not then be able to apply for another one unless you are an EU citizen. The Government plans to replace the EHIC with a new, free, Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

Neither the EHIC card or the GHIC card are a replacement for travel insurance – but both mean that you are entitled to the same treatment as locals should you need to attend state-run hospitals or GP surgeries when visiting EU countries.

Paying Social Security when working in the EU

The rules on this will vary depending on the kind of work you’re undertaking, and where you’ve working. See the UK Government’s website for specific advice.

MU member advice and reporting lost work

Don’t forget that you can always contact your regional office for advice. Please do also report any specific issues or incidences of lost work to them – as the Government is asking for evidence for our arguments.

Latest news and features

Sunshine brightly lights two scanning machines at an airport, one for placing your bags through and one for walking through

Working in the EU Post Brexit: Performing in Marbella

In this helpful case study, freelance musician and MU member Martin Ledger talks us through the steps he took along with his band when transporting equipment to perform at a corporate event in Marbella.

Published: 24 May 2022

Read more about Working in the EU Post Brexit: Performing in Marbella
A car sits in a queue of cars at a check point, bright bollards separate the lines and it's a clear, bright day.

Further Guidance Provided for Musicians using Eurotunnel

Following concerns raised by the MU on passenger limits, DCMS have provided further clarification around their advice for musicians travelling via Eurotunnel – and confirmed that the passenger limit does not necessarily need to be three-people.

Published: 10 May 2022

Read more about Further Guidance Provided for Musicians using Eurotunnel

Member services

Contract Advisory Service

Protect yourself against unpaid fees by making sure that your tour or engagement is covered by a written contract. Have it vetted by the MU for added peace of mind.

Read more about Contract Advisory Service

Professional Advice on U.S. Visa Issues

Visa issues can be complex and terms can be subject to change at short notice. We partner with professional organisations that offer free guidance and discounted services to MU members.

Read more about Professional Advice on U.S. Visa Issues

Everyone's talking about working in the EU

The Prime Minister promised this Government would fix it. It's a promise he has to keep.

Everyone's talking about working in the EU