skip to main content

The MU has a group of Safety Reps who can assist you in your workplace. They can be Regional Officers or specially appointed MU members.

The MU and its team of Safety Reps are able to provide in-depth health and safety advice and assistance for employed and self-employed members, on policies and procedures, hearing protection, risk assessments and much more.

There is also a programme of courses and briefing meetings for safety representatives and members to bring them up to speed on health and safety issues in the industry.

Workplace Safety Reps are a common place appointment within our Orchestras and Theatre Bands across the UK. Being an appointed Safety Rep gives you rights and protections under the Safety Representatives and Safety Committee Regulations 1977. In some cases workplaces will have Safety Committees made up of members to work with Management and the Union to ensure the working environment for musicians is safe.

Role of a Union Appointed Safety Rep:

  • Be proactive in your workplace to encourage safer working practices
  • Attend Union provided training, with paid time off from your employer (or loss of earnings from the MU for freelancers)
  • Request risk assessments for workplace activities (it is not the responsibility of the rep to compile the risk assessment, it is the responsibility of the employer or engager)
  • Representing members views in health and safety matters
  • Be informed and consulted regarding health and safety matters in your workplace, by your employer or engager
  • Attend workplace health and safety meetings, where appropriate
  • Listen to health and safety concern raised by members (members should follow their normal reporting processes in the first instance)
  • Present colleagues health and safety concerns to management
  • Investigate potential hazards, dangerous occurrences, health and safety complaints, workplace accidents and near misses
  • Do workplace inspections (if possible accompanied by management teams, to engender collaborative working)
  • Feedback to MU Regional teams any on the ground issues or request support as required
  • A Safety Rep must not suffer any detriment or be dismissed as a result of their H&S involvement, your employer should give you paid time off to undertake this work and freelancers can claim a payment from the MU for health and safety work

The Union provides training for workplace safety reps and the appointment must be made by the Union to the employer. For more information on becoming a Safety Rep contact your regional office

Need to talk to us?

The MU has a network of experienced teams available to help musicians in all areas of the industry.