skip to main content

Record Keeping for Tax Purposes

Bookkeeping advice for musicians for completing Self Assessment.

Last updated: 06 November 2023

HMRC has produced a guide which includes details on the bookkeeping requirements for the purposes of Self Assessment.   

Some expenses have an element of private expenditure and need apportioning before you make a claim. HMRC will accept claims for business use of telephones, cars and rooms used as offices, studios etc.

It's advisable to keep all records, receipts or invoices for a minimum of five years and 10 months following each tax year. This includes telephone bills, receipts for car repairs, servicing and insurance, plus household bills for council tax, insurance, maintenance and repairs etc.

It is unrealistic to expect taxpayers to log every telephone call and keep an exact record of business mileage, but any valid evidence you have for the amount claimed is very useful. Logging telephone calls, business mileage and evidence of journeys for a sample period could be very helpful indeed if there was a dispute about the amount claimed.

It will not be considered good enough to claim an estimated percentage without some evidence; these claims will be an open invitation for an HMRC enquiry.

 A Guide to Tax for Musicians provided by Chartered Accountants HW Fisher

We work with Chartered Accountants HW Fisher to advise musicians on all aspects of tax, accounting and bookkeeping.

Download the 2023/24 Tax Guide for musicians

Further details can be obtained from HW Fisher & Company’s Martin Taylor or Andrew Subramaniam.

You can contact HW Fisher & Company by sending an email or visiting the HW Fisher website.

Contact the Musicians' Union today

The MU has a network of experienced teams available to help musicians in all areas of the industry. If you have any questions about our services, membership or how the MU could help you, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Member services