skip to main content

Help & Support Resources for Sexual Harassment

We are here to offer support and guidance if you face sexual harassment, discrimination or abuse at work.

Last updated: 07 November 2022

How the MU can help

The MU's Safe Space scheme has been created to provide a safe space for all musicians to share instances of sexism, sexual harassment and sexual abuse in the music industry.

If you are an employed or self-employed musician and would like advice on your rights or support raising this at work, regardless of which part of the industry you work in, you can talk to us. Contact your Regional Office for advice and assistance.

Every office has at least one female member of staff. If you would prefer to speak to a female member of staff, you can ask to do so at any point. 

All calls will be treated in the strictest confidence and no action will be taken on your behalf without your prior consent. 

External organisations that can help

If you have been a victim of sexual abuse, we would encourage you to speak to one of the following organisations. They can provide support such as counselling and signposting of specific services to assist you in recovery and advise on reporting the incident to the police should you choose to.

In England and Wales

  • Sexual Assault Referral Centre – dial 111 to find the nearest Sexual Assault Referral Centre. They can provide immediate support and advice, including medical examinations and tests, and will not go to the police until you decide if you want to or not.
  • Rape Crisis - 0808 802 9999
  • Victim Support - 08 08 16 89 111
  • Galop (LGBT+) – 0207 704 2040
  • Survivors UK (men)

In Scotland

In Northern Ireland

Toolkits, resources and information to create change

There are many charities and organisations working to end sexual harassment in workplaces and in society, providing advice, information and resources that anyone can use. They include: