skip to main content

Flowchart Guide to Working in Europe

Updated: 03 April 2024 | 14:20 PM

Post Brexit deal, touring and gigging in Europe sees the need for an increasing portfolio of documents to ensure trouble-free passage, to, from and through the 27 member states of the EU.

To help musicians with the increased administration, we have compiled an interactive flowchart for musicians travelling to the EU – either solo or in groups – to assist in making sure you have the correct documentation prior to setting off. The flowchart guide contains links to useful online resources.

Latest update

The MU has revised its Flowchart for musicians visiting the EU, as the UK government has confirmed that portable musical instruments and equipment - provided they are accompanied - can be taken out of the UK without the need for a ATA Carnet, either as a foot passenger on public transport or in a vehicle.

How this will work when crossing borders into the EU remains to be clarified as the EU legislation only talks about portable musical instruments. We strongly recommend you check the customs arrangements of the country you are travelling to. If you are in doubt, we recommend you apply for an ATA Carnet. Please check the MU’s latest Working in the EU news for further updates.

Note: The Flowchart information is largely obtained from Government departments. The advice is as up to date as it can be. How the rules operate in EU territories will only become clear in the fullness of time.  


Guide on crossing EU border