skip to main content

The ability to travel and work freely and easily in the EU is of paramount importance to UK musicians.

That's why we campaigned to stay in the EU, and why we are raising a number of issues with the Brexit Deal that has been agreed by Parliament.

We understand that musicians have concerns about how Brexit might affect them and so have put together some FAQs.

Don’t forget that you can always contact your regional office for advice. Please do also report any specific issues or incidences of lost work to them – as the Government is asking for evidence for our arguments.

Frequently asked questions by musicians on Brexit

What is the MU currently doing on Brexit?

The MU is still lobbying for a Musicians’ Passport. Please visit our campaigns page for details of how to get involved.

Where can I find help?

If you have already lost work due to Brexit, please contact your regional office.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport have also released a list of helpline numbers for specific problems.

I am an EU citizen living in the UK – what do I need to do?

If you wish to stay in the UK, you will need to apply for settled status.

If you have any problems with your application, please contact the MU for help.

You can also read Thompsons Solicitors' guide to settled status for EU workers.

How will the Brexit Deal affect my ability to work and tour in the EU?

The MU has put together a flowchart to try and guide members through the new regulations, which we are updating on a regular basis.

Do I need an ATA Carnet for travel between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK?

An ATA Carnet is not currently required for your equipment when travelling to Northern Ireland for work and back – or travelling from Northern Ireland to other parts of the UK and back. You will however, most likely require an ATA Carnet if travelling to the Republic of Ireland for work from any part of the UK.

If this situation changes, we will let members know as soon as we can.

For guidance on the documentation you will now need when gigging and touring in Europe, see our flowchart guide.

Is my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) still valid?

Current EHICs will be valid until their expiry date, but you will not then be able to apply for another one unless you are an EU citizen. The Government plans to replace the EHIC with a new, free, Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

Neither the EHIC card or the GHIC card are a replacement for travel insurance – but both mean that you are entitled to the same treatment as locals should you need to attend state-run hospitals or GP surgeries when visiting EU countries.

How about paying Social Security when working in the EU?

The rules on this will vary depending on the kind of work you’re undertaking, and where you’ve working. See the UK Government’s website for specific advice.

Brexit resources

Latest news and features

Musicians working in the EU

Everyone's talking about working in the EU

Make the most of it. Email the Prime Minister in support of work permit-free travel and the Musicians' Passport.

Everyone's talking about working in the EU