We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our chosen social media, advertising and analytics partners. Read our cookie policy for more information.

Copyright Registration Service

How to protect your copyright

The MU’s free Copyright Registration Service is intended to help members prove ownership of their compositions in the event of infringement.

On this page you will find information about:

  • How to get proof of ownership
  • Using MU’s Copyright Registration Service
  • Infringement of copyright

How to prove and protect your copyright

It is always useful to have proof of when a particular work was created. You can use it to protect your copyright in any potential dispute about the ‘originality’ or ‘authorship’.

You can get proof by:

  • Depositing a copy with a responsible person and obtaining a dated receipt
  • Posting yourself a copy of the recording/manuscript by Special Delivery and storing it, unopened, in a secure place
  • Using the MU’s Copyright Registration Service for members

How to use the MU's service

The MU provides a CD (maximum of two per member per year), onto which you can record whatever you want to protect — compositions, recordings, lyrics, artwork, data and more.

You then seal the CD in the cover provided and post it to us, send a second copy to yourself by Special Delivery and keep a third copy for reference. We would advise you to do this as soon as possible after the creation of a new work. For more information contact your Regional Office.

Have you had your copyright infringed online?

If you believe your copyright has been infringed as a result of your work being reproduced and distributed online, contact your Regional Office as you may be eligible for legal advice or assistance.

Sites such as YouTube allow copyright owners to report infringements to them directly.    See YouTube’s policy online.