skip to main content

Employers, local authorities and the like increasingly require written evidence that musicians are insured against Public Liability before they are able to perform. Public Liability Insurance (PLI) is provided by the MU to its members to a limit of indemnity of £10 million per individual member.

PLI means that you are protected against the financial consequences of claims against you for the bodily injury of any person not your employee, or damage to property whilst performing either solo or as part of a group/ band/orchestra and/or whilst teaching in a public or private place (including at home).

Employers, local authorities and venues commonly require written evidence that musicians are insured against Public Liability before they are able to perform.

Need a PLI certificate immediately?

When you are an MU member, you can access your PLI certificate online on demand.

Download your PLI certificate

When is PLI valid and not valid?

It is valid anywhere in the world provided that you are resident in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

The policy runs for 12 months from the 1st January and is annually renewable by the MU.

Band leaders engaging other musicians, performers or technicians etc (where there is a master/servant relationship and not a collaboration between equal parties) may require employers’ liability insurance and should also obtain additional public liability insurance. Hencilla can provide this cover at if required.

This policy is only operative whilst the individual member of the MU is performing, rehearsing, auditioning or composing, either solo or as part of a group, band or orchestra, and/or whilst teaching or mentoring in the field of music, either at the member’s own home or any other place and in transit thereto and therefrom, including the setting up and dismantling of equipment, and/or individual registered members of the Musicians’ Union whilst setting up, operating and dismantling sound or lighting equipment at ground level only. The Business includes the ownership, use and upkeep of your premises.

For definitive information on our public liability insurance cover for musicians and music teachers, the terms and exclusions please refer to the policy wording.

How to make a claim

If in relation to any claim you have failed to fulfil any of the following conditions, You will lose Your right to indemnity or payment for that claim.

You must:

  1. Notify Hencilla/Insurers immediately of any event or occurrence which may result in a claim
  2. Notify the police immediately of loss, destruction or damage caused by malicious persons or thieves
  3. At Your expense, provide Us with a written claim containing as much information as possible of the loss, liability, destruction, damage, accident or injury, including the amount of the claim within 30 days
  4. Pass to Insurers unanswered, immediately, all communications from third parties in relation to any event which may result in a claim under this policy
  5. Not admit or repudiate liability, nor offer to settle, compromise, make payment which may result in a claim or pay any claim under this policy without our written agreement
  6. Allow Us to take over and conduct in Your name the defence or settlement of any claim. You will also allow us to prosecute at Our own expense and for Our own benefit, any claim for indemnity or compensation against any other person and You must give Us all information and assistance required

Customer service/complaints

If you have a question about your public and products liability insurance or wish to make a complaint please contact: Hencilla Canworth Ltd, Simpson House, 6 Cherry Orchard Road, Croydon CR9 6AZ, Telephone 020 8686 5050

MU insurance - general contract disclosure

You will not receive any advice or recommendations in connection with these insurances. The covers provided are available to qualifying members of the MU as a benefit of membership. Each Insurance product has been negotiated by Hencilla on behalf of the MU with the Insurer selected being the sole provider of each policy. Hencilla Canworth GI Ltd receives a commission from the insurers for arranging this cover. In sourcing and placing your policy, Hencilla acts as the agent of the Insurer.

Fair processing of your data

How Hencilla processes MU members personal data is detailed within the Hencilla Privacy Notice which is available on request or can be downloaded from Hencilla's website.

Member services