About the event
An interactive training experience via Zoom, designed to deepen our understanding of what audiences need from musicians and to give practical advice on how to present well with ease.
Come and hear from Catherine Arlidge MBE, violinist, concert presenter and educator in a small workshop group style format. Designed specially to support musicians to communicate effectively with audiences in person and in the digital world.
These sessions include video advice from Tamsin Greig, Bill Bailey, Stephanie Flanders, Thangam Debonnaire MP, Stephen Hough and Satnam Rana. You will explore the 5P’s of presenting well – Pitch, Prepare, Practice, Pace and Perform, to draw out confidence and the individuality in the participants.
What will this session cover?
- How to be natural, be you, be personal
- Your body language and eye contact
- How to use your skills as a musician to help – planning, preparation, breathing, rehearsing, allowing spontaneity
- How to understand what audiences need from you
- The introverted public speaker
- How to interview
- How to pace a short speech/conversation
- How to become aware of habits and ticks that might be off-putting
- How to use humour or not
- Who do we admire/who can we learn from
This session will take place in a Zoom meeting and is designed to be interactive. Spaces on the workshop will be limited to allow for as much interaction as possible.
Book your place
How to attend
The session is open to both freelance and contract players within orchestras who are MU members.
As spaces are limited we ask that you make a firm commitment for attending, we understand that things come up so if something prevents you from attending we just ask that you let us know as soon as possible so we can ensure that everyone who wants to attend can do.
To register for this workshop please email orchestral@theMU.org, there is also an earlier opportunity to attend 11:00 am - 1:00 pm.