We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our chosen social media, advertising and analytics partners. Read our cookie policy for more information.

Finding Teaching Work

Here is where you will find advice on finding work either as a private instrumental or vocal teacher, or through a third party such as a teaching agency.

On this page you will find information about:

  • Free services on MusicTeachers.co.uk for MU members
  • Advertising locally
  • Third party organisations
  • Teaching agencies
  • Where to look for teaching work

As a Private Teacher

The MU has teamed up with MusicTeachers.co.uk, the largest online database of UK music teachers and accompanists, to help you reach a wider audience.

Free services for MU members include:

  • Listing in a database searchable by keyword, instrument and region
  • Personal profile where you can upload your photos, videos and audio files
  • Qualification verification
  • Testimonials

Local music shops

Your local music shop notice board can be used as an effective way of advertising locally. Ask if you can leave promotional material which includes your contact details.

Through a Third Party

Any organisation who organises the teaching for you or introduces you to students is acting as a third party.

These include schools, music services, music hubs & cooperatives, agencies, music schools etc.

Teaching agencies

There are many teaching agencies operating to sell music teaching to schools and parents. We strongly advise our members to enquire carefully about the terms and pay before signing up with these organisations.

While most are fair, there are some exploitative agencies for instance charging parents £48 per hour and giving the tutor £18 per hour. We recommend that agencies should not take more than 15 - 20 % of the amount charged.

As with all work for third parties we recommend members check with the MU first, before they sign. If in doubt, wait and check your contract with us.

Organisations advertise jobs in some of these websites and journals:

  • UK Music Mark is the umbrella body for music services and hubs. Many music services and hubs post job adverts here. Remember, recruitment often takes place up to a term before a job starts. You may see some jobs advertised followed by a number such as .1 or .5. A teacher’s week is divided into 10 half-day slots, and each number equals one half day:
    .1 = half a day    .5 = two and a half days.
  • Youth Music is a funding body that promotes work with youth music organisations. Sign up to their network for feeds about what is happening in the music education sector and for information about work opportunities.
  • Times Educational Supplement - classroom and peripatetic teaching jobs in maintained and independent sector
  • Rhinegold publish Music Teacher and Classical Music magazines – you’ll find job advertisements in both publications.
  • UK Music Jobs in all areas of the music education sector and the wider music industry are posted here.