We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our chosen social media, advertising and analytics partners. Read our cookie policy for more information.


Covering loss of income through insurance

There is no insurance that we are aware of that covers loss of income to an individual following the closure of a business from COVID-19, or any other cause.

If your employer or engager is adequately insured, there is a much greater chance of you receiving payment should your work be cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns. 

Conditions needed for a business to make a claim 

Advice to avoid pubs, theatres and other venues is sufficient to make an insurance claim – as long as a business has cover for pandemics as well as government-ordered closure. 

This means that most businesses are unlikely to be covered – whether Government orders closures or not – as standard business interruption insurance policies are dependent on damage to property, and will exclude pandemics. 

However, insurance policies differ significantly, so businesses are encouraged to check the terms and conditions of their specific policy and contact their providers. 

Get the latest coronavirus updates in your inbox