skip to main content

If you think your student may be struggling with a health problem, whether this is physical or mental, encourage them to talk to a clinician about it and not to wait until it gets worse. The most important thing is to get a clinical diagnosis so that the most effective treatment can be provided.

Your NHS GP can help. BAPAM also has a Directory of Clinical Practitioners who are experienced in treating performing artists.

For singers, we recommend that a diagnostic assessment at a specialist vocal health clinic is undertaken to determine the correct care pathway. Further details are available in BAPAM’s Vocal Health Referral Recommendations factsheet.

BAPAM can provide a free clinical assessment for musicians over the age of 13 and can often help signpost to funders who might be able to help support private treatment for professional musicians if needed.