We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our chosen social media, advertising and analytics partners. Read our cookie policy for more information.

Residency Rates

Minimum rates per musician, April 2019

For resident engagements in hotels, restaurants, nightclubs at holiday centres and on ships.

Minimum salary £699.00 per week

Working week
For a week of six sessions (performance or rehearsal) with a maximum playing time of four hours per session within a five hour period.
Holiday Pay
As an employee, the musician is entitled to 28 days holiday (pro rata) in line with working time regulations.
Public Holidays
Bank holidays, when worked, are payable at double time
Calculated on the hourly rate and paid at time and a half (£699.00 /6 /5= £23.30 X 1.5): £34.95 per hour or part thereof.

Distance Fees and Travel Expenses

Distance fees Fuel fees Congestion / Toll Charges /
£10.50 per hour pro rata

Travel time and mileage
51p per mile

HMRC guidance
All charges to be paid
by engager


Group A Group B Group C
Group D
£29.02 £25.06 £19.97 Negotiable
Electric guitar (incl amp); Bass guitar (incl amp); Double bass Bass sax, Tuba Contra bassoon; Baritone sax;
French horn + 1 other brass instrument;
Trombone + 1 other brass instrument or bag of mutes;
Two saxes; Cello; Bass clarinet
Drum kit; Percussion; Harps; Keyboards


15% of fee for each additional instrument


Minimum of 15 mins per 2 hours playing

Late fees 

Payable when time of return is midnight to 2:00am: £26.21

Overnight stay

Payable when return would be after 2:00am: £103.38


Payable per day to cover meals and expenses: £46.70

Termination of contract

Not less than two weeks’ notice in writing. Accommodation and meals should be provided where applicable If undertaking work overseas flights, transfers and repatriation should be provided.
Submit any overseas work contracts to the Union.

Guidance Notes

The MU’s live rates are based on an hourly rate which a self-employed musician needs to charge in order to earn an income, relative to their training, experience and expertise. Individual negotiations can be made based on these minimum rates.

​If you are self-employed, you do not have a contract of employment with an employer. You are more likely to be contracted to provide services over a certain period of time for a fee and be in business in your own right. You will also pay your own tax and National Insurance Contributions. You do not have employment rights as such if you are self-employed as you are your own boss and can therefore decide how much to charge for your work and how much holiday to give yourself. You do have some legal protection. You must not be discriminated against and you are entitled to a safe and healthy working environment on your client’s premises. Self-employed women who have recently left their jobs may be entitled to Maternity Allowance.

Related downloads

Residency Rates (PDF 109.69 bytes file opens in new window)

L3 E-Contract - Band Continuing Engagement (PDF 140.93 bytes file opens in new window)

L4 E-Contract - Solo Musician Continuing Engagement (PDF 139.27 bytes file opens in new window)