skip to main content

CITES Musical Instrument Certificates

Published: 19 October 2020 | 12:23 PM Updated: 14 December 2020 | 11:32 AM

Advice on the regulations regarding the movement of instruments containing Ivory, Rosewood, Abalone and other endangered species.


1. Non-Commercial cross border movement. Non-Commercial for the purposes of CITES regulations means: Movement of musical instruments for personal use, paid or unpaid performance, display, production, teaching or competition. Also. international transport of an item for the purpose of being repaired or returned under warranty.

2. Non-Commercial cross border movement of up to a maximum weight of 10kg per instrument can travel without a CITES permit. The 10kg refers only to that portion of an instrument that is made from Rosewood or Bubinga. Less than 10kg? No Annex 1 species? Staying within the EU? Then no MIC needed.

3. Musicians can use the MIC for the non-commercial cross border movement of musical instruments containing Appendix I or Annex A listed species such as Ivory, tortoiseshell and Brazilian Rosewood, therefore instruments cannot be sold or advertised for sale whilst out of the country of issue.

4. MIC’s can be used as an import permit and a (re) export certificate

5. MIC’s are valid for three years from the date of issue, but the instrument must be back in the country of issue before the permit expires.

6. Import requirements should be checked with the importing country before moving an instrument with a MIC.

7. Apply for an MIC here

8. You need the FED 0172 application for an MIC.You can go straight to the application form and download ‘FED 0172’ for your MIC as a word document or Pdf. On the application page you will also find instructions on how to complete the form. Note that FED 0172 is a generic application form also used for import and export/re-export. To apply for an MIC tick the box ‘Other’ in the 'Permit/Cetificate field section in the top right-hand corner of the form and write in ‘Musical Instrument Certificate’.