skip to main content

Disclosure and Barring Service (England and Wales)

On this page you will find information about the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), how to apply for a DBS check, Disqualification by association and how DBS works in schools

Last updated: 20 January 2021

The MU has an arrangement with Total CRB to process DBS checks for members, and we can now offer members access to online DBS applications, making the process much simpler and quicker.

We recommend that all teaching members have a DBS check, formerly known as a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check.

Enhanced Checks will cost members £55, and all fees incurred with will be paid directly to TotalCRB.

For more information and to apply for a DBS check, please contact us via email.

If you are transgender and you do not want to reveal details of your previous identity to a potential employer, please contact the DBS transgender applications team by email to

More information about the DBS Update Service can be found here.

Disqualification by association – New Guidance for Schools

At the end of last year schools were given supplementary advice to the “Keeping Children Safe” Statutory Guidance from the Department of Education detailing a new requirement for childcare disqualification checks to be carried out on relevant staff working in schools.

These checks arise from the Childcare (Disqualification) Regulations 2009, which in turn arose out of the Education Act 2006.

The Regulations prohibit anyone who is disqualified themselves under the Regulations (or who lives in the same household as a disqualified person) from working in schools where pupils are under the age of 8. This will affect those working in primary schools and nurseries and some qualifying staff in secondary schools.

Schools are advised to ask employees to provide relevant information not only about themselves but also about a person who lives or works in the same household as them. They will also ask for this information as part of the pre-employment checks they undertake on appointing new staff.

Schools may choose to ask staff to complete and sign a declaration confirming that they are not disqualified (nor do they live with anyone who is disqualified) under the Regulations from working in the school.

For more information please visit the appropriate Government site or contact us by email.