skip to main content

No ATA Carnet Needed for Touring Between NI and rest of UK

We’ve had confirmation that members based in England, Scotland and Wales do not currently require an ATA Carnet to gig in Northern Ireland, and vice versa.

Photo ofDave Webster
By Dave Webster Published: 14 January 2021 | 10:57 AM Updated: 28 April 2021 | 4:32 PM
Photograph of a musician walking, whilst carrying a guitar in a hard case. We can only see the musicians arms and torso, the guitar case is well worn looking.
You can continue to move your equipment between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK without needing an ATA Carnet. Photo credit: Shutterstock

The MU has spoken to the London Chamber of Commerce, and we’re pleased to learn that an ATA Carnet is not currently required for your equipment when travelling to Northern Ireland for work and back – or travelling from Northern Ireland to other parts of the UK and back. If this situation changes, we will let members know as soon as we can.

While you will most likely require an ATA Carnet if travelling to the Republic of Ireland for work, it is not currently a requirement to get one for travel within the UK including to Northern Ireland. This was one of the potential impacts of the Brexit deal that was unclear until we sought clarification.

For guidance on the documentation you will now need when gigging and touring in Europe, see our flowchart guide.

Take action now

Over 110,000 people have signed our petition, calling the Government and Parliament to back a Musicians’ Passport

Join our call on the Government and Parliament to back a Musicians' Passport for musicians working in the EU post-Brexit.

Sign the petition now.

Get MU membership today

From gig players to part-time teachers and professional instrumentalists, MU members can access specialist insurance for musicians. This includes accident cover, health schemes, travel insurance and car insurance add-ons through the Musicians’ Union.

Explore our member services

  • Get public liability insurance for musicians
  • Access expert legal support
  • Be represented in your profession
  • Access expert career advice, resources, and training events
  • Connect, network, and get to know the community of musicians

Learn about all membership benefits

Get MU membership today

Continue reading