skip to main content

Maternity Allowance

How you can claim Maternity Allowance if you are a self-employed or employed musician.

Last updated: 07 April 2022

You can claim maternity allowance if:

  • You have been working for at least 26 of the 66 weeks before the Expected Week of Childbirth
  • You can find 13 weeks (not necessarily in a row) in which you earned over £30 per week on average.

When claiming Maternity Allowance you can add together earnings from more than one job and you should make sure that you choose the weeks in which you earned the most.

Both employed and self-employed work counts for Maternity Allowance.

You can also claim MA if you are the spouse or civil partner of a self-employed person and you help in their business.

Maternity Allowance for self-employed women

A self-employed person is treated as having the following earnings regardless of the amount you actually earn:

  • If you pay a class 2 NI contribution, you will be treated as earning £156.66 a week (April 2019-April 2020)
  • If you hold a small earnings exception certificate from NI, you will be treated as earning £27 a week (the MA threshold).

If you wish to claim MA and you have not yet done your Self-Assessment tax return and paid Class 2 NICs, you should contact Jobcentre Plus and make your claim for MA as soon as possible. You will be given the opportunity to pay Class 2 NICs before they are due in order to qualify for MA at the standard rate.

You should contact Jobcentre Plus if you have not paid enough Class 2 NICs to qualify for MA when you make your claim. HMRC will let you know how to make an early payment of Class 2 NICs.

Adoptive parents can’t claim MA and there is also no equivalent for fathers who don't qualify for Statutory Paternity Pay, this needs to change. Support the campaign for parental pay equality.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You may be entitled to Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you do not qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay or MA and have done some work in the last three years but not recently.

The rate of ESA varies according to your circumstances. It is paid from six weeks before your baby is due until two weeks after your baby is born.

You can claim ESA if you have paid or been credited with enough National Insurance contributions during the last three tax years that do not overlap the current calendar year.

It is also possible to get ESA if you are incapable of working because of illness or disability.

Guidance pack on maternity, parental and adoption workplace rights

The parental guidance pack is designed in conjunction with Maternity Action to provide musicians with information about your rights at work as set out under the Equality Act 2010. Learn more about:

Get support as a woman musician through MU membership

Whether you are a full-time or part-time music professional, employed or freelance, teaching or recording from home, you can make the most out of our expert music industry advice and services.

Explore our services available to members only

Join now

Get support as a woman musician through MU membership