skip to main content

Piping Centre to Give Free Talk on Post-Brexit Working for Musicians

The National Piping Centre in Scotland will be running a free online-workshop, explaining the new Brexit requirements, on Wednesday 11 August at 2:00 pm.

Published: 30 July 2021 | 3:03 PM
Photograph of a number of travel crates ready to pack concert equipment in for a tour.
The ability to travel and work freely and easily in the EU is of paramount importance to UK musicians. Photo credit: Shutterstock

The webinar will cover what you need to know to continue touring the in the EU and the UK for British citizens and EU citizens, topics will include:

  • Entering the EU 27 Schengen area AND differing requirements in each member state for work permits and also routes into the UK for EU citizens (third country nationals)
  • Work permits – what’s the difference between the different routes, do I need something if I’m not being paid for a showcase etc
  • Carnets – do I need one and strategies for minimising the need for one if necessary
  • Merchandise VAT and import duty, what do I have to do if I have merchandise for sale (or for promotional purposes)
  • General negotiation needs in respect of work permits and Carnets when dealing direct with promoters
  • Collaborating with EU citizens and UK citizens as musicians and other creatives in dance, film, multimedia etc post Brexit
  • Q&A via chat

This talk will be running online via zoom on Wednesday 11 August, 2:00 pm. Once you have registered with Eventbrite, link and login details will be sent to you before the start of the event. Find out more on the Piping Live website.

The webinar will be given by Ian Smith – owner, agent and manager of two key international music agencies based in the UK for over 20 years and Austria for 15, who has worked as a musician, manager, tour manager and sound engineer for over 40 years of touring. Ian also worked for eight years as national chair of one of the sections of the MU.

See our dedicated section on working in the EU post Brexit for further advice from the MU.

Get MU membership today

From gig players to part-time teachers and professional instrumentalists, MU members can access specialist insurance for musicians. This includes accident cover, health schemes, travel insurance and car insurance add-ons through the Musicians’ Union.

Explore our member services

  • Get public liability insurance for musicians
  • Access expert legal support
  • Be represented in your profession
  • Access expert career advice, resources, and training events
  • Connect, network, and get to know the community of musicians

Learn about all membership benefits

Get MU membership today

Continue reading