Like most websites, this site uses cookies. To find out more about what cookies are, and how they are used on this website, go to our Privacy Policy. If you continue to use this site, we will assume that you are happy with the website's use of cookies.


How to protect your copyright

On this page you will find information about:

  • How to get proof of ownership
  • The MU’s free Copyright Registration Service
  • Infringement of copyright

It is always useful to have proof of when a particular work was created. You can use it to protect your copyright in any potential dispute about the ‘originality’ or ‘authorship’.

You can get proof by:

  • Depositing a copy with a responsible person and obtaining a dated receipt
  • Posting yourself a copy of the recording/manuscript by Special Delivery and storing it, unopened, in a secure place
  • Using the MU’s free Copyright Registration Service for members:

The Musicians’ Union Copyright Registration Service

Our Copyright Registration Service can help you prove your ownership of your own compositions in the event of infringement.

The MU provides a CD onto which you can record whatever you want to protect — compositions, recordings, lyrics, artwork or data. You then seal the CD in the cover provided and post it to us.

You should also send a second copy to yourself by Special Delivery and keep a third copy for reference. We would advise you to do this as soon as possible after the creation of a new work.

To use this service, please contact your Regional Office.

My copyright has been infringed

Contact your Regional Office immediately. You may be eligible for legal advice or assistance.