Like most websites, this site uses cookies. To find out more about what cookies are, and how they are used on this website, go to our Privacy Policy. If you continue to use this site, we will assume that you are happy with the website's use of cookies.

Teaching Contracts

Here you will find information on the importance of using contracts and advice on which contract to use in your teaching.

There is also advice to help you assess whether or not you should sign a particular contract.

If you are in any doubt please contact

Get it in writing

Members are strongly advised to obtain written confirmation of all engagements.

Remember that if you do not have a written contract in place, then you will find it hard to recover unpaid fees.

Make sure you:

  • Keep copies of all of your contracts
  • Keep to the terms of the contract: issue invoices on time and give good notice of changed or cancelled  lessons. This will encourage your pupils to keep to their side of the agreement
  • Have contact details for all of your pupils’ parents or carers
  • Include the cancellation policy
  • Set a notice period for students to inform you when they are moving on.

Read our full guide on getting it in writing.

Which contract to use

The MU has updated its Teaching Contracts to make them compliant with changes in consumer law and also to make them for fit for purpose for teachers working either privately at home or in schools.

The changes to the Private Teaching contract have come about because of the implementation of The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013. These regulations came into force in 2014 and regards instrumental teachers as ‘traders’ which means they need to provide specific information to the ‘consumer’ i.e. the pupil or parent/guardian.

N.B. These changes apply to NEW pupils only and contracts that are continuing are not affected by the regulations.  Basically, it means that there is a 14 day cooling-off period where pupils can cancel the contract without any financial penalty. It is therefore advisable not to commence providing teaching services until the cooling-off period has expired, or the pupil has requested in writing for lessons to start during the cooling-off period.

We have also changed our Teaching in Schools contracts to be:

The latter should be used in conjunction with the MU Teaching in Schools (T2) contract.

The three contracts are generic to encompass as many situations as possible, but we are aware that many members use their own contracts with their pupils because they want to add their own terms and conditions. If you want your contract checked to make sure it is compliant with the new legislation then please contact for advice.

MU Regional Offices can help with ready-printed copies of all three Contracts.

For further information about the new legislation from the Government’s website:

Should you sign a contract?

Should you be offered a contract of employment or a contract that requires you to provide personal service, you are recommended to contact your Regional Office.

We can arrange for a specialist employment lawyer to review it and provide you with appropriate advice on the contract as part of our Contract Advisory Service. Our lawyers will also provide you with practical advice and guidance should you wish to negotiate better terms with your employer. 

NB: All employees, irrespective of the number of hours they work, are entitled to a written statement of their main terms and conditions of employment within two months of starting work.

More information about Employment Contract Advisory Service (ECAS).

Teachers' Toolkit

T1 Contract Private Teaching (PDF 854.57 bytes file opens in new window)

T2 Contract Teaching in Schools (PDF 1.43 MB file opens in new window)

Get it In writing (PDF 125.14 bytes file opens in new window)

T2A Contract Private Teaching in Schools (PDF 1.87 MB file opens in new window)

Explanatory Notes for T1 Contract (PDF 185.56 bytes file opens in new window)