skip to main content

The ability to travel and work freely and easily in the EU is of paramount importance to UK musicians. Check our latest version of the Flowchart guide to working in Europe and don’t forget that you can always contact your regional office for advice.

Please do also report any specific issues or incidences of lost work to them – as the Government is asking for evidence for our arguments.

Musicians who now require ATA Carnets for travel should take advantage of the MU Member exclusive discounts available through the London Chamber of Commerce (LCC) or Boomerang.

Latest highlights

Frequently asked questions, answered

What is the MU currently doing on Brexit?

The MU campaigned to stay in the EU, and we are raising a number of issues with the Brexit Deal that has been agreed by Parliament.

Currently the MU is still lobbying for a Musicians’ Passport. Please visit our campaign page for details of how to get involved.

I am an EU citizen living in the UK – what do I need to do?

If you wish to stay in the UK, you will need to apply for settled status.

How will the Brexit Deal affect my ability to work and tour in the EU?

The MU has put together a flowchart to try and guide members through the new regulations, which we are updating on a regular basis.

Do I need an ATA Carnet for travel between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK?

An ATA Carnet is not currently required for your equipment when travelling to Northern Ireland for work and back – or travelling from Northern Ireland to other parts of the UK and back. You will however, most likely require an ATA Carnet if travelling to the Republic of Ireland for work from any part of the UK.

If this situation changes, we will let members know as soon as we can.

For guidance on the documentation you will now need when gigging and touring in Europe, see our flowchart guide.

Is my European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) still valid?

Current EHICs will be valid until their expiry date, but you will not then be able to apply for another one unless you are an EU citizen. The Government plans to replace the EHIC with a new, free, Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC).

Neither the EHIC card or the GHIC card are a replacement for travel insurance – but both mean that you are entitled to the same treatment as locals should you need to attend state-run hospitals or GP surgeries when visiting EU countries.

How about paying Social Security when working in the EU?

The rules on this will vary depending on the kind of work you’re undertaking, and where you’ve working. See the UK Government’s website for specific advice.

What are the entry requirements for EU Member states?

Musicians can follow to check entry requirements for 26 EU countries and other foreign travel advice on website.

Latest news and features

Photograph of the corner between Downing Street and Whitehall, focusing on the two street signs.

Next Kill The Bill Day of Action to Take Place on 29 May

A series of organised protests will be taking place across the UK, calling for the Government to reconsider their Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill, which risks criminalising the right to peaceful protest, increasing discrimination and undermining democracy.

Read more about Next Kill The Bill Day of Action to Take Place on 29 May

Everyone's talking about working in the EU

The Prime Minister promised this Government would fix it. It's a promise he has to keep.

Everyone's talking about working in the EU

Relevant resources