We use technologies, such as cookies, to customise content and advertising, to provide social media features and to analyse traffic to the site. We also share information about your use of our site with our chosen social media, advertising and analytics partners. Read our cookie policy for more information.


DEFRA Releases Update on CITES Permit Applications Ahead of Brexit

Members planning to travel after Brexit with musical instruments that fall under the protected species guidelines are advised to apply for permits as soon as possible.

Photograph of Rosewood trees
Rosewood trees, used in a number of instruments, are classified as a protected species. Photo credit: Shutterstock

The MU has learnt that DEFRA has advised that anyone planning on moving CITES protected species on 1 November – or in the days following after – must apply for a CITES permit as soon as possible.

This is to allow enough time to apply for and receive your paperwork ahead of moving your items between the UK and EU after Brexit.

Members are reminded that a further four designated points of entry and exit for movement of CITES-protected species were announced in September. Read the full guidance available here.

Let touring musicians travel post Brexit

Staying in the EU is still the best option for musicians. But if we do leave, we need to protect musicians working in the EU after 31 October.

That’s why we propose a Musicians’ Passport.

It’s a touring visa that lasts a minimum of two years, is free or cheap, covers all EU member states, gets rid of the need for carnets and other permits, and covers road crew, technicians and other staff necessary for musicians to do their job.

Sign the petition for a Musicians' Passport.

Published: 11/10/2019

Join the MU for £1

News RSS